Sunday, October 15, 2017


For my birthday this year, my two sisters bought this vintage pickle jar for me.  I love it!!!
Instead of pickles, I added some mini pumpkins to the jar.

Another faux pumpkin lays in the silver creamer.

Adding the wheat made for a perfect vignette setting behind the couch.

Thanks sisters!

Tuesday, October 10, 2017


It was pretty easy to add some Indian corn and, pumpkin blossoms and day lily stalks to transform the blue and white mantle to fall.  I can't get over how well the Oriental blue and white pieces go with the pops of orange color.

The morning light really makes the mantle pop.

Thursday, October 5, 2017


I wanted to share a few Fall vignettes around the house.

I filled my blue and white Oriental pumpkin vase with some faux bittersweet and pumpkin blooms.

Front entry.

Front door.

A glance inside the front door.

And I haven't even got the pumpkins out yet!

Friday, September 29, 2017


Just adding seasonal décor to other rooms adds a bit of extra warmth.

Last winter, I arranged evergreens on the top of the headboard mantle.

During the spring and summer, I placed vintage books and distressed porch post decorations as bookends.

In order to keep the soft off white colors, I introduced my cream porcelain pumpkins to the mantle.

Fall is now present in the bedroom.

Monday, September 25, 2017


Now that one of our girls is off to college year round, it was time to give the room a bit of a refresh.
I knew that I wanted a retreat for visitors traveling here and froe.  I also wanted to give it a bed and breakfast feel even though it isn't very large.
I pulled a few pictures and vintage mirrors from my collections to use in the room.  At this point, I'm thinking of possibly changing up some of the frames, but I need to let that simmer for a bit.

I also wanted to bring in my updated luggage rack not necessarily to be used with suitcases, but because it was the right color and it could serve as an additional tray to put things.

I think that for a long time I have loved the calming, soothing color of pale blue, so it was an easy choice to bring in the updated drum table with 2 chairs for sipping a cup of coffee in the morning.

And finally, here is a swatch of my color choice.  I think that the Hinting Blue paint will set off the white crown molding.

This dresser, which I redid ages ago needs a freshening up also.  The stain bled through, so it's time to clean it back up.

I can't decide about the bookcase, but for now it will stay in the room. 

I purchased this cross ages ago, but I thought that it would compliment the updated room.
The bedside table that I would use is the one their Dad made them for Christmas 10 years ago.  The white, shabby look is perfect for the new guest room.

Every other day or so, I go into add special touches to the still unpainted room.

I honestly can't tell you how soon we(because I can't finish a job without Mr. Thrifty) will have the reveal because this has been a very busy time for him. 

I promise you, it will be worth the wait.  Why don't you think of refreshing one of your rooms?  Paint is an easy fix--that is if you have a painter on hand.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017


Since fall is upon us, I wanted to update the tray for the coffee table.

This summer I used the gray damask pattern in the tray.

I found this beautiful print on the Internet.

Using a weave like looking scrapbook paper, I cut it to the dimensions of the tray insert.

I laid the botanical print on top of the weave paper. 

Last fall, I collected a bunch of leaves from the maple trees out front.  It is a pretty easy  method to place them in a book and rubber band them to allow them to dry flat.

With the tray done, I added a necklace and bracelet(with a gold heart) to my sweet girl bust.  Placed on a gold tray with a few compacts stylized the spot under the gold filigree mirror. 

Back to the coffee table. I brought out one of my sewing drawers to place the TV remotes and coasters.

I couldn't seem to get a sharp, clear picture of the tray itself because of the glass on top.

It feels good to introduce a bit of fall back into the Great Room.  I think I am going to begin introducing more botanicals into my decorating.  Access on the internet is plentiful.

Friday, September 15, 2017


I came up with this wonderful idea after visiting my friend Mary.  While we visited her house for a Sunday meal, I noticed a linen towel bag that held her previously cleaned lettuce leaves.  After inquiring about the sack, she explained that the lettuce stayed fresher that way.

So the next day at home, I decided to sew up a few of the bags myself.  I bought a package of three linen towels and washed and dried them.

The first thing I did was to cut the towel in half lengthwise.  Then I folded it as you see in the picture, turned it inside up and sewed the two sides.  Notice the flap on the right size.  This will fold after inserting my cleaned lettuce leaves.

This was a quick 10 minute easy sewing project.  In the long run, it will save me money keeping my lettuce fresher.