Friday, December 30, 2011

A finished headboard

When I left off, I had showed you the 4 doors screwed to the wall.  Next, hubby panelled with MDF strips to cover the gaps between the doors.

\
It was time to create the crown molding top.  With the purchase of a very cool saw, the two of us   mitered the corners and I left it to hubby to connect them.  


 Notice the dimension on the crown molding corners.  My husband built a shelf on top.  I haven't decided what I want to put up there. 

 We decided to use the same high gloss paint as the crown molding and baseboards to tie the headboard together in the room.
With a lot of spackling, sanding and painting, this is the finished project.  I think it is beautiful.  Thinking about the cost of raw materials, $15.00 for each door,  and $2.00 for the crown molding, the total cost was $62.00 without tax.

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I am a friend of Susan Bice and she posted on her blog about your blog. I LOVE this headboard idea. I have also been looking at designs for a substantial headboard after seeing store bought ones. I knew there was a way to make an amazing headboard for WAY less than the $600. listed in the stores. GREAT IDEA. So, did you use spackle to fill the seams from the mdf strips in between the doors? They look seamless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,

    Thank you so much. Hubby did an amazing job. The secret is using white caulking on all the seams. It is labor intensive but makes a world of difference.
    Glad you are enjoying the blog.



    Lora

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are ready for prime time HGTV with this piece! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete