Saturday, January 18, 2020

2 MEALS FROM A ROTISSERE CHICKEN


Now that the cold days are upon us, I like to make soups to throw in the freezer.


While at Sam's, I picked up a rotisserie chicken.  I deboned the chicken putting all the dark meat into 1 pile=1 1/2 c. chicken.  All the white chicken amounted to about 3 cups of meat.


Here is the plan.  I am going to make a batch of Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Wild Rice Soup with the dark meat.  I'm going to make copycat Chick Salad Chick chicken salad with the white meat.  Down here in the south, chicken salad is big.  I love their chicken salad, so I researched and found a great recipe.


CREAMY MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND WILD RICE SOUP

4 T. butter, divided
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 sweet onion, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 t. dried thyme
1 1/2 c. dark meat from a rotisserie chicken
8 c. chicken broth
1 c. wild rice blend, cooked in 1 1/2 c. chicken broth
1 c. whipping cream
1 1/2 c. parmesan, grated
S&P to taste.

First, I cook the wild rice in the broth.  It takes much longer than the package says, so don't be dismayed. 

Then, melt 2 T. butter in a pan over medium heat and cook the mushrooms and onions until their liquids have evaporated, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside.

Melt 2 more T. butter and cook the carrots and celery until tender, about 10 minutes.

Mix in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about one minute.

Add the broth, rice, chicken, celery, carrots and mushrooms and reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Turn the heat to low and add the 1c.whipping cream and 1 1/2 c. grated parmesan. 

*I don't add S&P because I think the Parmesan gives it enough flavor.

Makes 3 quarts.  It freezes well.  I took a batch out of the freezer and served it with a side salad. 
What a great meal!




I found this copy cat chicken salad from Chick Salad Chick-a great restaurant here in the South.  All they serve is chicken salad. The creator of this restaurant named all of her chicken salad meals after the woman in her family.

Here is the recipe:

COPYCAT CHICK SALAD CHICK CHICKEN SALAD

3 c. white chicken-from a rotisserie chicken- ground in a food processor
2 t. dry Ranch dressing mix
1/2 c. mayonnaise
2 T. celery, finely minced
3 T. sour cream(this is my addition to make it creamier)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. white pepper


Mix it all together and let it sit overnight for maximum flavor.

*I purchase the dry Ranch dressing mix at Aldi's since it costs only .49 a packet.  It is a lot cheaper than Hidden Ranch dressing, but I think the flavor is comparable.






Because this is a basic chicken salad mixture, you can jazz it up and add mandarin oranges and sliced almonds or dried cranberries and pecans.  It can be served on bread, or on a bed of lettuce or in a scooped out fresh tomato half.

This is one of my new favorite make ahead chicken salad dishes.





No comments:

Post a Comment