Sunday, October 14, 2018

BEAKER COOKIES

While trying to come up with a creative birthday treat to ship, I found a beaker cookie mold.  How appropriate since my oldest is in Pharmacy School.  My youngest is an undergraduate in Public Health.

I took out a great recipe for Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies.  I have always had trouble rolling out dough, but this recipe was easy.  Make sure that you chill the dough.  That is crucial to rolling the cookies.

I received this cookie recipe at least 10 years ago.

Sr. Carolyn's Cream Cheese Cutout Cookies
Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes

1 c. butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 c. sugar

 3 1/2 c. flour
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. almond extract
1 t. baking powder


Beat cream cheese and butter.  Add sugar.  Beat until fluffy.  Add egg, vanilla, almond extract.  In another small bowl, combine flour and baking powder.  Add dry ingredients to cream cheese mixture in mixer.


Divide cough in halves.  Wrap each portion in saran wrap.  Refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours.  Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness.  Place 2 inches apart on parchment paper.  Bake according to instructions above.  Cool before frosting.


I used a royal frosting.  The reason I used royal icing was because I wanted to frost them and fill the 'beakers'.  Cool overnight.  I used a fan to dry them faster because of the humidity in the air.


After 2 days, they were ready to wrap in parchment paper.  I then used bubble wrap around the parchment to avoid breaking in transit.  It worked well.



The rolled out dough.




A trick I learned from a friend was to turn the cookie over to get a really flat surface.
The first step was to pipe the outside of the area to be frosted.  Then, piping the remainder of the frosting spreads out well.




The cookies turned out well.  I think the girls enjoyed them.


No comments:

Post a Comment