Monday, July 25, 2016

SOFTBALL CUPCAKE DEBACLE

I wanted to share with you one of those ideas that didn't quite come out ok.  This posting was written at the end of softball season.

I know most of you have seen the sites on Pinterest that show what a customer orders and what they receive.  Well, I can now join that club.

I was preparing a Senior night for the softball team and a lot of planning had gone into making the gifts, having team pictures made, creating a special gift wrapped presentation and ordering a cake.

I found this beautiful cupcake cake on Pinterest.  I took a picture and headed off to the bakery, which shall remain unnamed.

After showing the baker the picture, she wrote down, 24 cupcakes with neon yellow rosettes in a circle with red baseball lacings.

Of course, the day I picked the cake up was unseasonably hot.  I bought a ten lb. bag of ice and loaded it into a plastic tub.  I was ready to keep this cake on ice.

When I walked up to the counter to pick up my cake, this was the site I viewed.  Absolute horror on my part......

This was a BASEBALL cake with 3 yellow roses on it!!  I was devastated.  It was too late to make another one. When the counter clerk asked me if I would take it for $10.00 instead of $25.00, I didn't have much choice.

I took the cake to the car and put it on ice.  On the way to school to pick up the softball players, I was on the verge of tears.  I had wanted this Senior Night to be so special for the softball players.  Once I got to the park, I showed the coach and she smiled and something to the effect of 'the girls will love it!'

In the midst of getting the cake out, I forgot to place the miniature banner with the seniors name on the cake.  It was time for a do-over.

We still had the tournament game and I decided to try to make it myself.  I made a batch of vanilla cupcakes and placed them in my round Tupperware container.

I got out my Wilton cake decorating tips and piped the frosting on in a rosette pattern.  Not bad.



Using red frosting gel, I piped the lacings onto the cake.  That was a bit more challenging.


The banner was placed amongst the cupcakes and the cake was complete.

This cupcake design was so easy to create.  I will be using this design again.

No comments:

Post a Comment