A few years back, I created a shell tray for my dear friend. I found this cabinet door at Habitat ReStore for $4.00. I was wanting to use the remaining shells to recreate another tray like the first.
I got busy and placed rows of shells in the recessed part of the door. They fit perfectly.
After removing the door pull, I was ready to fill the hole with wall spackle.
Also on the back there were two holes from the hinges.
I pulled out two of my handles from the knobs and pulls box. Whenever Hobby Lobby has a 50% off sale, I pick these up.
Mr. Thrifty used the drill press and made holes to fit both of the handles.
Next, I made sure the handles fit. Perfect!
Using my favorite spray primer, the whole door and handles were given a good coat of paint.
Then two coats of gray chalk paint were applied.
And the screws too.
Sorry about the blurry picture.
I then used sandpaper to knock off some of the paint on the handles.
I did the same on the cabinet door.
A layer of adhesive was put on the recessed area of the tray and the shells were placed. A good overnight and the adhesive would be dry.
Mixed up a batch of non sanded grout.
Some of the shells had holes in them. It was sort of tricky, but I placed toothpicks in the holes to avoid having grout stuck in them.
At the same time, I grouted the cross for a teacher.
After cleaning the excess grout out, here is the finished product.
I took a trip to the mirror and glass store and had a thick piece of glass that was sanded on the edges made to place over the shells.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the tray but for now, it has a home in the grey great room.