Sunday, May 13, 2018

MARY SHRINE FOR THE BEDROOM


Because I have a special devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary and pray the rosary often, I thought it was time to make a shrine in my bedroom. The month of May honors the Blessed Virgin every year.  As a child, Mom would always let us make a Marian shrine in the house.  We would pull out the yellow, laminate child's table and lay a linen cloth over the top.  Every day we would replenish the vase of flowers that adorned our shrine.  This is such a vivid memory of mine growing up.

From time to time, I try to have a vase of flowers near my statue of the Blessed Mother during May.
Over the years, I have acquired many holy cards, some vintage, and multiple rosaries from over the years.  I even have a holy water fountain that belonged to my grandmother.  I thought it would be a wonderful idea to incorporate all of my religious items into one place and make a permanent shrine to Mother Mary.

In the meantime, I was really looking for an old hollowed out mantle clock to redo to use for my shrine.  Because I am impatient, I took note of my lantern and thought that it could be used until I came upon this elusive wooden shrine.  Wouldn't you know, about the time I was envisioning this shrine, I found my wooden shrine.  However for the time being, I could use the lantern until I had enough time to refinish the wood mantle piece.  Of course, this will be yet another posting. 

Mom bought this statue of Mary of Lourdes while she was in France.  Every year, millions visit the Grotto of Massabielle (Grotto of the Apparitions) where, in 1858, the Virgin Mary is said to have appeared to Bernadette Soubirous, who was later canonized, or made a saint in by Pope Pius XI on December 8, 1933.  In the Catholic Church this is the feast day of the Immaculate Conception.

I placed my two mosaic crosses close to the lantern holder.


Taking a look into the shrine, I smile thinking of how I acquired so many religious effects. Vintage Holy cards, my scapula, the antique holy water font are some of my favorites.  Such treasures remind me of my Catholic faith.




 I draped my rosaries over the top.


Our sweet Lady of Lourdes.




After i had set up the shrine, I was in Krogers and spied these gorgeous pale pink baby roses.  How could I possibly pass that deal up?


I came home and pulled the outer layer of each rose off.  You would be surprised how this little trick
makes roses fresh looking. 


See the difference?


I pulled out a silver low floral container that had a frog in the middle to hold in the blooms.  It took just a few minutes to trim and place them in the vessel.  Absolutely gorgeous!  And all for $2.99!






When I wake up and get out of bed, this view is my first site.  What a start to a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment