Monday, June 24, 2019

FIREPLACE TILE REFRESH I

When we had the house built, we didn't make a choice to have an upgraded tile put on the surround and floor.  They had used the same floor tile that we had in the bathrooms.  I lived with it for 8 years and then knew that I had to improve the look of the mantle.
 

Here is the before picture.





Since we had repainted the living room Sherwin Williams Repose Gray, the tile did not fit the mantle.  I wanted a Carrera marble.  After I looked at many tiles, I decided to use the arabesque Carrera marble.  I loved the shape of the tiles and thought that it would go better with the gray veining and the gray paint. 





The long slender pencil tile would be placed around the actual firebox.




The rectangular pieces would frame the hearth.







As most of you know, Mr. Thrifty and I try to do all of our home projects.  However this time, we needed the experts to complete this task.


We hired Gullion Design and Remodeling. Wayne and Donnie were the amazing artisans that completed the job.  It is quite obvious that their skill level is over the top.  To find craftsmen that are perfectionists in this day in age is challenging.  We were blessed with Wayne and Donnie.  I could not thank them enough for their incredible talent in bringing my vision to reality.


 When the guys came in, they created a plastic wall to keep the dust in.  The front had a zipper to allow the contractor to move in and out without disturbing the walls.  I thought this was cool.
It really kept the dust contained well.


All of the old tile was removed and the hearth pad needed a base of fresh concrete.






DAY 2-With the new concrete hearth dried, it was time to start cutting some tile.






And the inside hearth
.













The adhesive was done and the job needed to wait overnight to dry.

Stay tuned you FIREPLACE TILE REFRESH 2.
































































































No comments:

Post a Comment