Monday, October 14, 2019

JUST LIKE GRANDMA'S SWEETENED RED CABBAGE FOR OKTOBERFEST



It's about time for Oktoberfest.  Since we were not having a dinner at the Church this year, I decided to make a dinner at home for Mr. Thrifty.  The usual braised bratwurst in beer and onions and Grandma's potato salad were staples. I wanted to recreate her red cabbage so I bought a jar of Aldi's ready made red cabbage.


This jar of cabbage was already prepared but I wanted it to taste like home, or  like Grandma's recipe.

So let's get started making 'Grandma's Cabbage". 

First, I put 2 tablespoons of bacon grease into the skillet.  I peeled, cored and chipped 1 apple and added it to the hot bacon grease.  I cooked the apples until they were softened.  To this, I added 1/3 cup of Riesling wine, but any white would work and 1/3 cup of sugar.  I stirred the ingredients and let it cook on low for about 30 minutes. 


Once cooled, I placed it in the fridge until dinner.  When ready to eat, I put the cabbage in the microwave and heated it through.


The red cabbage turned out perfectly.  The brats and German potato salad made an incredible Oktoberfest dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment