Wednesday, April 15, 2020

LOCKDOWN CHILI SEASONING IN A HURRY

Good morning!  Here it is Easter Monday and there is a chill in the air outside.  I started a batch of chili and realized that I didn't have any Chili Seasoning Packets.  Panic?  No.

I googled a recipe and thought I would share it with you. During these times of the Coronavirus, a person does not want to go to the store.  I opened up my spice cabinet and pulled out the spices and .












You will need:
1 T. chili powder
                                                                  1 t. cumin(I did not add this because my family does not like cumin)
   1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. onion powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. white pepper















When I brown the ground beef for my chili, I always add at least one half of a cut up onion.  I cook these together  and drain the grease off before putting this in the crock pot.

I used to make chili using just tomato sauce but now while making 2 batches, I add 16 ounces of tomato sauce and 16 ounces of canned stewed tomatoes. I also add 2 cans of light kidney beans, drained and rinsed to the pot.


 










Toss the spices into the crock pot.  I always add 1 soda can size of V8 juice.





 Stir and cover.
Let it simmer all day.  I make sure to have a pot of hot white rice, and grated cheddar cheese when I am ready to serve.




REVIEW:
THE CHILI DID HAVE SOME HEAT, BUT WAS NOT OVERLY HOT.  THE FAMILY LIKED IT BUT I WOULD LEAVE OUT THE CAYENNE PEPPER.  I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT 1/4 T. IN A DOUBLE BATCH OF CHILI WOULD CREATE SUCH HEAT.


I WOULD DEFINITELY USE THIS RECIPE FOR SPICES FOR CHILI AGAIN.




































No comments:

Post a Comment