Tuesday, July 14, 2020

FREEZING FRESH THYME IN A RAVIOLI PRESS

Fresh herbs always taste better, that is a given.  By the time I would buy an herb planting, I wouldn't be able to keep it alive.  While at the store, I purchased a container of thyme sprigs.   I only used about 1/10th of the package and wanted to freeze the rest.  

In my younger days, I would have pulled out an ice cube tray.  But who has one of those laying around these days?  Exactly. 

So, let's get started with my package of thyme.


What container could I use to freeze the tablespoons of fresh thyme?  I opened up my cabinet where all the contraptions I use rarely, you know, like the waffler maker?  And what should I spy but a RAVIOLI MAKER!  This could work in a pinch.

I pulled out the plastic tray and started filling each circle with a tablespoon of thyme leaves.


The remainder of the package filled the tray.  Carefully, I added water and tried to submerge the leaves.  I placed the tray on a cookie sheet and popped it in the freezer.

Later that day, I popped the frozen thyme popsicles into a zip lock, marked it and put it in the freezer.  Next time I need fresh thyme, I will head to the freezer, pop one out and place it on a few paper towels and let it thaw.


Ready for my next recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment