Monday, June 22, 2020

REWORKING A SOFA SLIPCOVER INTO A OTTOMAN SLIPCOVER

When I replaced the slipcover on the couch, it was still very sturdy and washable fabric.  I was wanting to make a slipcover for an ottoman in my reading corner but didn't have the fabric. While looking closer at the old covering, I realized that maybe I could use the pillow part of the slipcover as the top of the ottoman.  I had NO experience in adding piping to such a slipcover.  But, if I cut just right, I could use the piping for the top and the 4 corners that were pleated.  

I will tell you, that this was a challenge to say the least!


So let's start with my outdated ottoman.



Pretty bad, right?
So let's get to work.

First, I cut the top of one cushion leaving the piping on all sides with about 2 extra inches of fabric.




 I laid the 'top' piece on the ottoman.  I is a bit oversized, but I will settle with the slouchy look.





Then I started cutting the back of the sofa fabric leaving the original hem on.  I was thinking, there would be less sewing.


  I pinned my top and sides together and then went to the sewing machine.  Now the battle began.  I fussed and sewed, ripped out seams but continued until I had all 4 sides sewn to the top piece.








 Two broken needles later, where I hit the piping was the worst casualty.





I realize that it is far from perfect, because the fabric was too thick in the corners but I came away with a washable, better looking covering then I had before.  Seams are not perfect but from across the room, no one will know the difference.


What I learned about myself was that I hate to give up.  An upholstery class is definitely in my future.


So let's look at the results. 










No comments:

Post a Comment