Monday, May 21, 2012

The One That Started It All

My interest in redoing antiques started many, many years ago.  At the time, I was a school teacher and I would go up to Chicago to help my sister work on their two flat.  They had been doing major renovations to the building.  One day we went into her basement.  She showed me a vintage spice box which generally goes for about $100.00 had it been refurbished.  It was missing a few of the drawers, but I thought that it added more character.  She let me take it home.  I wish I had taken a picture of it prior to my sanding, stripping, staining and sealing.   As a first piece, the size was manageable to work with.

                                              Now, it proudly hangs in my kitchen area. 

                    
                              Every season, I decorate the spice box with seasonal items.

I realized quickly that refurnishing takes a lot of elbow grease, but there was a lot of satisfaction out of seeing the job to completion.  I have never stopped the hunt for an old piece to work my magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment