Thursday, July 11, 2013

DAMASK GREY AND WHITE PILLOWS WITH COORDINATING FABRICS

I sort of teased you about the renewal project on our rental in Illinois.  I have not yet written the posts yet, so I will keep working on them. 

In the meantime, check this one out on working greys into the  great room.



Once I completed the Paris Grey thrift shop table, my thoughts about my Chinese blue and white porcelain Great Room had changed.  I was in the mood to change over to hues of gray to compliment the off white slip covered furniture.  That is another factor in choosing the lighter tones for your basic furniture pieces.  Every color that is added works well to give a completely different look.  The grey softens the makeup of the room.

The first layer for this new concept started with an indoor/outdoor rug, a charcoal grey background with an off white scroll pattern.  Laying it on a diagonal over the larger off white  rug set the stage for the summer look.
 
 The coffee table with its carved legs complimented the design in the anthracite rug.
 
 
I found two contrasting grey damask fabrics at Hancock fabrics.  One of them has a linen look to the weave.



The idea was to make them two sided pillows so I could flip them for a slightly different look.
 
 
Using two pillow forms that I already had, I cut two pieces of each fabric 19x19 inches.  That would leave for a 1/2 inch seam allowance on each side.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
An estate sale silver plated tea pot adds a bit of shimmer to the grey.  Still not satisfied with the hues of grey, I wanted to introduce some color.  What better way than fresh flowers.
 
 
There was enough material left to drape a piece of fabric over the vintage shutter panel.
 
 
 
 
 
I need to find some vintage rose or pink plates to hang instead of the Blue Willow ones on the wall.
 
What goes better  with grey than pink.  Bringing in a vase full of pink hydrangeas gave the scene a pop of color.



 
All hues of grey make for a soothing setting for the summer.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment