Sunday, September 15, 2013

RECREATING AN AMERICAN GIRL-JULIE'S BOHEMIAN OUTFIT

I have to begin the blog this morning with a shout out to Mom, who turns a youthful 91 years old today.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to see her in person but some of my siblings will spend the afternoon with her.  She is such an inspiration to all of those in our family. 

I love you Mom.  You are the best!!


After I made  Molly's PJs, I wanted to find an outfit for my younger daughter.  She is a neat, quirky kind of kid.  She had the Elizabeth doll, but she wanted something out of the ordinary.  She liked Julie's(another American Girl) bohemian dress.  I thought, yes, I could make that too!

This is the image from the American Girl catalog.  Meet Julie, a San Francisco eclectic little girl.




I already had the grosgrain ribbon.  Finding two floral fabrics was on my shopping list was the next challenge.  The handkerchief scarf would be a no-brainer.

 
I attached the bottom ruffle directly on top of the other fabric and top stitched it in red thread using a zig zag stitch.



 
Using fusible webbing, I ironed on the grosgrain ribbon to the sleeves and dress front.



Using the white Velcro, I hand stitched the pieces onto the back of the dress.






When closed, the back of the dress was complete.



A complimentary fabric was cut into the v shape on the dress top.  Using the fusible webbing and grosgrain ribbon again trimmed out the front.



The handkerchief scarf was made making a two sided piece of fabric with red polka dots and ribbon  ties at the end of the kerchief.



 

 






         



Now Elizabeth is ready to make a trip to Peoria to visit her Grandma.



Another fun outfit is complete.




1 comment: