Tuesday, November 11, 2014

RECYCLED CABINET DOOR SEASHELL TRAY-Part 1

You might recall how I used one of these cabinet doors to create a mosaic tray about one year ago.
 
 
I have been saving the second cabinet door to create a very special 50th birthday present for my dear friend Tara.  She loves the ocean so I wanted to honor her with a tray related to it.
 
While in Gulf Shores this summer, my youngest and I would scour the beach to find seashells.  I came back with a gallon zip lock bag full of such treasures.
 
I pulled my cabinet door out of the garage heap.(Sorry Tara!)
 
 
I  pulled two different kinds of shells out and dry fitted them inside and outside the molding trim.

 
The tray seemed too busy, so I decided to only use those shells that fit inside the molding.
 
The tray needed handles, so I went to my knobs and handles stash and pulled out a matching set of handles.

I originally purchased these at Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off.  They are very sturdy and somewhat heavy.



I could envision the handles really making a statement on this tray.




Because all my surfaces would be painted with Annie Sloan Paris Grey paint and then distressed, I was feeling confident that this would become a beautiful display tray for her to set on her coffee table.
 


After I was happy with  dry fit, I transferred the shells over to two metal sheets to keep them in order.  Looking left to right, you can see the entire row of shells to be applied to the cabinet door inset.


With the shells set aside, it was time to tackle the actual cabinet door.
 
I first drilled my holes for the handles and made sure that once they were screwed on would fit well.
 
Then it was time to get the spackling compound out and fill all the holes, ridges and cracks on the door. 
 
Here is the back of the door.


And the front of the door....



Every inch was sanded with 200 grit sandpaper and wiped clean with a damp cloth.

 

Once sanded, I was ready to begin painting.
 
And at this point, I'm going to take a break.  Stay tuned for my next posting on the finished RECYCLED CABINET DOOR SEASHELL TRAY.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment