Sunday, August 2, 2015

CLOSEST THING TO GRANDMA'S GERMAN POTATO SALAD





My Grandma made absolutely the best German Potato Salad that I have ever eaten.  Since I don't have her recipe written down, over the years, I have tried to replicate it.--many times with no success. 
While I had dry rubbed spare ribs slowly cooking in the oven for 7 hours, yes, 7 hours, I decided to try my hand at yet another potato salad recipe.
I believe that this recipe finally matches Grandma's and I had to share it with you.


This recipe comes from Grandma Vera's German Potato Salad that I found online.

The only 2 items that I switched up were using sweet onions and increasing the sugar to 6 T
from 4 T.
INGREDIENTS




4 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
1.2 lb. bacon, diced
1 c. sweet onion, diced
2 T. flour
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. cider vinegar
6 T. sugar*****
1 tsp. celery seed
2 hard boiled eggs, sliced
salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Boil potatoes and leave in hot water while making dressing.
Fry bacon, and remove to drain.  In the drippings, fry onion until soft.  Stir into the drippings, the flour and stir well until brown.  Add to browned mixture your water, vinegar, celery seed and sugar.  Season with salt and pepper if need be.

Stir fast so it does not lump up on you.  It should get bubbly and thicken quickly.
Drain potatoes.  Pour hot mixture over potatoes and carefully toss, not breaking the potatoes.  This potato salad will be very saucy.  It will absorb into the salad after you put it in the fridge. Place in casserole and add crumbled cooled bacon.  When ready to serve, top with sliced eggs. 

Garnish with eggs.


This is SO delicious.  This recipe can easily be doubled.  I think the recipe I made would be enough for 4 adult servings.

 Try it for your next picnic.

1 comment:

  1. I can't remember if I mentioned how much Kate looks like your grandma!

    ReplyDelete