Sunday, October 11, 2015

DUNCAN PHYFE SQUARE TABLE-PART 3

 I finally had put the painting of this table off long enough. 
Instead of painting a coat of shellac on with a brush, I purchased a spray can of Zinser's shellac.  This product would save tons of time, especially with all the nooks and crannies of this table.
First, I pulled out the palm sander and cleaned the varnish off the top of the table.  After wiping it clean with a damp cloth, I realized that I had more work to do before painting.

I found several divets in the base of the table.  There was also a significant one on the side of the apron.  
I wanted to use the quick drying wall spackle to keep this project on track.

So, I filled the holes and let them dry.

Now I was ready to spray paint the shellac.  I gave the table 2 coats of the shellac with an hour of drying time in between coats.


However, the humidity was not my friend today, so I have to wait overnight before I could give it another coat of the shellac.  Patience is a virtue.  So hard for me at times.
I painted 2 coats with Paris Grey Chalk paint.


Then using a thin paint brush, I painted in all the intricate carvings with white chalk paint.

Notice how sloppy I was with the white chalk paint.  I will sand lightly later to get the excess white paint off the gray flat spots.


So after the light sanding, the table is ready to wax.


This is a close up of the harp section of the base.


To prepare for the waxing, I pulled out my compact palm polisher with the terry cloth cover.


Before waxing, I decided to only wax the top of the table because I really liked the matte finish of the base of the table.  This top will get most of the wear and the wax will protect from water damage from drinks.  The next picture shows just a small area of the top with the wax applied before buffing.  The wax definitely darkens the gray paint and brings out the texture of the sanded areas.


After buffing the top, this is the result.


Because fall is here, I wanted to compliment the table with some silver plate and dried pressed autumn leaves.
I bought this lovely lid, though damaged on the top, at an estate sale for $1.00.  A quick polish will revive the piece.  Since I will be flipping it over, the damage will not show.


What magic a little polish will provide.


Thankfully, last fall, I picked up a lot of colorful leaves and pressed them in an old book.  Multiple rubber bands kept the book closed tightly.


One year later and look at the results.  The colors have been preserved and they still look fresh.


Laying them in the silver plated lid was an easy way to display and add autumnal color.


Sitting the lid on top of Grandpa's vintage grey scale added some interest.


Here is another view of the harp base.


Putting the table next to the chaise lounge completed this corner of the Great room.


I can really see myself simplifying my decorating style.  Less is best.  The room appears to be cleaner with less on the flat surfaces.  And to be honest, it is less dusting when you don't have so much to move while cleaning.

I want to thank Whitney's Grandma for this beautiful table.  It truly was an act of love to bring this hobbled table back to being a beauty.

I am showing you a picture of the table during the evening hours.  The colors change so much with the lighting.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment