I was asked to help out with the grade school fundraiser. In 2 short days, I pulled this one together. It all started with a cross that I purchased. (I bought two at the time since they were on mega clearance)
I had always intended to use these crosses to create auction projects. My problem was that I had nothing to work with. Two days ago, I started to panic. When the plea for help came out, I had to run with it. I said a little prayer for help. I headed off to Habitat ReStore to hopefully find something to pair with the cross.
As luck would have it, I found two cabinet doors right away. I wasn't sure that one of them would work but since I liked the lines, I purchased both anyway. I have to tell you, I paid a total of $12.75 for both doors.
Here is the first door.
For some reason, I favored the second door which had a paneled insert. Now, I had to figure out how to update this colonial style door.
First, I removed the hinges.
Even though the price was $8.00, the cashier knocked a few dollars off of it.
In my mind, I wanted to make the insert resemble bead board.
A good sanding was the first step.
After sanding, I applied a coat of Americana Décor LACE chalk paint.
I should mention that I had to fill the hinge holes with wall putty.
Next, I re-sanded the piece.
After sanding, the insert bead board lines were not popping.
Using General Finishers DRIFTWOOD, I filled in the lines.
In order to make the door more vintage, I applied a coat of crackle medium.
Next, I applied two more coats of the chalk paint to the frame.
The miracle crackle medium begins its magic.
In order to make the crackling pop, I went to my acrylic paint supply and pulled 4 colors to pull in the rust effect from the cross. I decided to not use the metallic copper paint.
After mixing the 3 colors, I came up with this mixture.
I was now feeling more positive about the end result.
The mixture was painted onto the frame and then wiped off leaving a hint of a rust color.
Next, I sanded the frame again. It actually looks like an old door now. I painted another coat of the Lace paint on the very edges.
The hardest part of this project was how to attach the cross to the frame. Since it did not easily fit within the confines of the reset, I had to get help. Thank goodness for Mr. Thrifty as he pulled a few nuts and washers out and drilled a hole for the top of the cross.
I hope the fundraiser reaps a good price for this latest up cycle.