Thursday, March 8, 2018

RECYCLING A CERAMIC PLANTER WITH SPRAY PRIMER AND GUILDING WAX


I bought this ceramic planter at a yard sale for $1.00 over 10 years ago.  I loved the shape of the planter, but didn't really like the coloring on it.  I tried and tried to incorporate the planter into my décor but never had any success.


The markings on the underside were not anything special.



I initially began painting it with a silvered chalk paint.  The paint was not sticking at all.  And I knew that with watering the plant that would be inside the planter would not have a long lasting effect.

This next picture shows the second coat.  It wasn't much better.  Time to try something else.


I taped around the inside the planter, and filled it with newspaper and took it outside to spray paint.  It took a few sprayings to cover the entire piece, but I was liking the spray primer color.



I used my favorite Rust-oleum 2x ultra cover grey spray primer.



After the primer dried, I put a little bit of the silver guilding wax on my finger and went over the raised areas of the planter. 


I left the inside of the planter free from paint because I didn't want the primer to leech into the soil.



I was very happy with the result.


I added my cuttings into the planter.  Sitting it on top of a few vintage books gave the planter some height.





I am thrilled with the latest project. 



The planter works well with the great room décor.

No comments:

Post a Comment