Tuesday, April 17, 2018

THE MONK

I have been looking for a 'new' St. Francis since last summer.  Over the summer, both his last hand and bird fell off.  I love the rustic shrine that Dad had made, but it was time to search for a new statue.  I glued the pieces back on and set him aside.


Now, it is the first softball tournament this spring.  It is an overnight, so my catcher daughter and I drive to spend the night about 1 1/2 hours from home.  We are in a little town and little town means to me--junking holes.  As we got up the next morning, we drove in to the field, but on the way, I spied 3 antique stores.  I called ahead to alert 2 other mothers asking them if they wanted to go junking while the girls practice before the first game.  I picked them up and we returned to the stores.  I walked in and within 3 minutes, I found the Monk.  First off, he wasn't St. Francis, but I had an uncle who was a monk, so I was drawn to this statue.  He had some broken pieces and was glued back together, but he reminded me of a Benedictine monk and that was enough for me.  I gazed at the tag and he was, drumroll-$20.00.  I had my first purchase within 5 more minutes.  I want to share my new treasure with you.  I decided to place him where the St. Francis statue had been.

He had been glued back together and I was only missing the doe's tail, but that was ok.


He looks majestic up on the hill.


Amongst all the perennials blooming, I think he will be a nice addition to the garden.


I haven't decided if I'm going to put a bird nest in the platter he is holding.  I'll wait on that.

I did add the bird nest and planted a few carnations and periwinkle pansies in front.  In an arch around the back, I planted some irises. When the bed fills out, it should be beautiful.



















No comments:

Post a Comment