Wednesday, August 8, 2018

AUTHENTIC REFRIED BEANS AND TOSTADA RECIPE

 
While visiting San Antonio during our last Sisters' Weekend, we ate at not once but twice, Rosario's Mexican Café Y Cantina.  The refried beans were to die for so we had to make a return visit.
Years ago I made homemade refried beans.  The Mexican influence comes from my Mom's cousin, Marts.  When we were growing up, Marts and her Mom, Aunt Stacia, would travel from California and bring my Mom Mexican food products.  This was before we could travel to the south side of Peoria to Ciota's, which was the only place in town to carry them.  I am getting off script..excuse me. 
Actually, refried beans are relatively inexpensive to make.  I usually at least double the recipe so I can freeze half for a later date.  I promise you that you can't stop eating them.
Here is my recipe.

Tonight, I was going to make tostadas.  My ingredients include refried beans, grated cheddar cheese, green chilies and flour tortillas.

The first step is to puree the refried beans that I made yesterday.  The recipe made 2 quarts.


Here are my other ingredients to make the tostadas.


 I used one quart for the tostadas and froze the second quart for another meal.


To assemble, I put oil in the fry pan and heat it up.  I toss one tortilla in and spread a few tablespoons of the beans and a few diced green chilies to cover the tortilla.  Then I sprinkle cheese over the beans.  I top with another tortilla.  I flip the tortilla when golden brown and cook the second side.  Drain on paper towels and then cut in quarters.  I serve this with sour cream, chopped tomatoes and taco sauce.

Yummy.  Get your refried beans fix!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment