Sunday, August 26, 2018

SHRIMP AND CHEESY GRITS


My idea to try to make shrimp and cheesy grits came about when we went to the Metro Diner and tried their shrimp and cheesy grits.  I was in love!  

After looking on line for a copy cat recipe for this recipe, I researched and found a recipe that I could try out at home.


Here is the recipe that I made for my family.  This recipe will serve 4 people.

Ingredients:
1 lb. of shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb. Andouille sausage, sliced
1 T. garlic powder
1 T. onion powder
2 tsp.black pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 stick of butter
2 T. olive oil
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced

For the grits:
1 c. grits
1 c. water
1 c. whipping cream
1 c. chicken broth
1 stick of butter
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder

****The ingredients for the shrimp seemed to me to be way too much for me.  I cut all of the dry spices in half and it still turned out very flavorful.  Mr. Thrifty really liked it but it was a bit spicy for me.

Instructions:

In a large pot, bring all liquids except cream (for the grits) to a boil.  Add butter and seasonings.
Slowly, stir in grits while whisking non stop for about 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and cook grits, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.
Adding extra broth as needed to keep the grits  thin.  I did not add additional broth.  Add cheese and whisk well.  Then, add the whipping cream and remove from heat.

To prepare the shrimp:

I added half of the shrimp spices to the shrimp about 15 minutes ahead of cooking.
In a large skillet, add the butter and olive oil over medium high heat and add all the vegetables, except garlic and saute for 5 minutes.  Add garlic and saute one more minute.

Add Andouille sausage and saute 10-15 minutes, until browned.  Add shrimp and cook about 3-4 minutes.

Serve on top of a heaping scoop of cheesy grits.

LESSONS LEARNED:

1.  I used only 1/2 of the dried seasoning for the shrimp.
2.  Andouille sausage really has a kick. I would cut back to half if I were to make it again.
3.  I froze half of the cheesy grits and will use them as a starch for another dinner.  THESE WERE THE BEST CHEESY GRITS I HAVE EVER HAD!

I didn't take a whole lot of pictures.  This picture shows the veggies and the sausage sauteing.


Cheesy grits cooking.


Completed shrimp, Andouille sausage and veggies.


The finished dish.


The cheesy grits were so amazing that I had just a bowl of them the next day.


I will definitely be making this dish again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment