Monday, June 4, 2012

Wedding tray

Remember this sewing machine cabinet?

This is a picture of it sitting in my driveway during the garage sale.  To no avail,  there were no takers.
It was a good thing because this cabinet would come in handy later.

I needed to come up with an idea for my godson for a wedding shower present.  Both the bride and groom are into recycling, so I wanted to make something that was old and I could re purpose.  I thought of this sewing cabinet. 

It is always nice to have a tray on an ottoman or coffee table.  Here is what I came up with.

I unhinged the lid that opens up on the top of the cabinet.  Then, it was stripped and sanded and given a very coats of Golden Oak Stain.  Because food might be placed on it, I sealed it with mineral oil twice.  Bacteria does not grow in this type of oil, so I put two coats of the mineral oil on it.  If they ever want to use it as a cheese  tray, it will be food safe.


I needed to find some handles.  I went to my stash and found these that I picked up at a Restore Habitat store for a quarter a piece.


These handles just didn't make that statement I was looking for.  So, off to Hobby Lobby to look for handles that just happened to be 50% off.  The handles were $3.99 apiece.  Do the math, and for a bit over $4.00 I had my answer.


All that was left was the drilling of two holes for each handle to attach properly.
Of course, I can never let well enough alone, but staged properly.

                     
  I hope the newlyweds get a lot of use out of this tray.


The next blog will include the making of Homespun napkins and linens that were given as part of this shower  present. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment