Saturday, August 2, 2014

SUMMER TRAVELING

As many families do in the summer, travel is a big part of our summer plans.  This summer we traveled  out west for a college visit for my oldest daughter.  The reason I mention this is because of the blog feature picture this month.  Look at the beautiful detail in the key plate of this vintage door.
 
This door opens to the Benedictine College St. Benedict's Hall which now houses the Admissions offices in Atchison, Kansas.  My father and I both had classes in this building back in the day.
 
Notice the Benedictine medal in the keyhole of the door to the entrance of this historical building.
 
During the more recent renovations and newer construction, a Benedictine medal has been placed somewhere in their foundations. 
 
  I'd like to share some information about the St. Benedict Medal.
 
 
On the front of the medal is Saint Benedict holding a cross in his right hand, the object of his devotion, and in the left his rule for monasteries.[3] In the back is a poisoned cup, in reference to the legend of Benedict, which explains that hostile monks attempted to poison him: the cup containing poisoned wine shattered when the saint made the sign of the cross over it (and a raven carried away a poisoned loaf of bread). Above the cup are the words Crux sancti patris Benedicti ("The Cross of [our] Holy Father Benedict"). Surrounding the figure of Saint Benedict are the words Eius in obitu nostro praesentia muniamur! ("May we be strengthened by his presence in the hour of our death"), since he was always regarded by the Benedictines as the patron of a happy death.[3][7]
 
 

On the back is a cross, containing the letters C S S M L - N D S M D, initials of the words Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Non draco sit mihi dux! ("May the holy cross be my light! May the dragon never be my overlord!").[3] The large C S P B stand for Crux Sancti Patris Benedicti ("The Cross of [our] Holy Father Benedict"). Surrounding the back of the medal are the letters V R S N S M V - S M Q L I V B, in reference to Vade retro satana: Vade retro Satana! Nunquam suade mihi vana! Sunt mala quae libas. Ipse venena bibas! ("Begone Satan! Never tempt me with your vanities! What you offer me is evil. Drink the poison yourself!") and finally, located at the top is the word PAX which means "peace".[7][3]
Wikipedia
 
Benedictine College is steeped with Catholic tradition.  My father was in attendance there when it was called St. Benedict's for male students and Mount St. Scholastic for girls on the other campus. He was a senior in December 1941 when Pearl Harbor was attacked.
 The following spring, he graduated early along with fellow students to join the Armed Forces.  Dad enlisted in the  Navy in their officer candidate program before heading overseas.
 
I graduated in the 70's from Benedictine after both schools joined to form Benedictine College.  I still look back on my college experience with fond memories.   
 
 
I find that no matter where you look in the fine details, beauty is there.  Look what just a keyhole showed me!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment