Tuesday, November 10, 2015

AUCTION PROJECT-HABITAT RESTORE CABINET DOOR FOR CHRISTMAS FRAME

During the after Christmas sale at Hobby Lobby, I found this beautiful Santa image with background scrapbook cardstock.  It measured 11x11 inches.  At 80% off, it cost under $3.00.  Notice the 2 holes in the bottom of the red background.  I am going to have to find a new background.  At 13 inches in length, I will have to find wrapping paper instead of a normal 12x12 inch sheet of scrapbook paper.


How to incorporate this  image into an auction piece was a challenge.

As I am always on the lookout for interesting cabinet doors, I spied this one at Habitat Restore during February of this year.  What was even more thrilling was the fact that it cost only $3.00.  The additional molding on the middle of the door is the key to creating trays that I have done in the past.  This area inside measures 10x13 inches.  Because the Santa image AND scrapbook paper background measures 11x11, this door would be perfect for this project.


I also picked up this piece of decorative molding.  Even though the grease pencil shows $5.00, the actual price of this item was $1.00.  Whoo hoo!
 
 
 In my vision for this Christmas frame, I would like to attach this molding piece onto the top of the cabinet door.   Initially, I will saw off the two raw edges and sand them.  I will leave the attaching of this piece onto the door to Mr.Thrifty.  It will be interesting to see what he comes up with. 
 
Meanwhile, I will take the knob off the cabinet door.  Since I have many vintage crystal knobs in my stash, I will replace it.
 
Also, the hinges need to be taken off and filled with wood putty.  Once sanded and primed, I will use Lamp Black paint(one of my favorites!) to paint out the cabinet door, front and back.
 
Are you following my vision?  I think it will turn out to be a substantial framed piece once completed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment