Friday, November 20, 2015

ORDINATION CARD FOR PRIEST


  A priest is one of the integral members of the Catholic Church.  He can be your pastor, teacher, confessor and/or a spiritual confidant.

In order to join the Priesthood, one must study and prepare themselves to receive the Sacrament of Holy Orders.

The Sacrament of Holy Orders is the continuation of Christ's priesthood, which He bestowed upon His Apostles; thus, the Catechism of the Catholic Church refers to the Sacrament of Holy Orders as "the sacrament of apostolic ministry."
"Ordination" comes from the Latin word ordinatio, which means to incorporate someone into an order. In the Sacrament of Holy Orders, a man is incorporated into the priesthood of Christ, at one of three levels: the episcopate, the priesthood, or the diaconate.


The Priesthood has a particular wardrobe specific to the vocation. One of the most prominent articles of clothing is a chasuble. 
A chasuble is a sleeveless outer vestment worn by the officiating priest at mass.  (Taken from About.church) 
  
Depending on the time in the Liturgical year, the Priest will wear the color appropriate for that season. The picture below shows the basic colors though they are not limited to these colors.



 When I think of our Priests, this chasuble comes to mind immediately.  To transition into my project for today, I would like to show you a card made especially for a young man's Ordination into the Holy Priesthood.

Making religious cards are very special to me. I have made cards for Deacons, Communion and Confirmation celebrations.  These are very special Sacraments in the Catholic Church.

 A young man from our parish was soon to be ordained and I wanted to congratulate him on this special day.

  A chasuble, the outer vestment worn by a Priest at Mass was the perfect symbol for me to use in creating this card.  I searched and searched until I found this image. The image was very elaborate.  To give it a bit more dimension, I used glue and glitter to embellish the image.


Once the glitter had dried, I cut the image out and glued it onto a background of linen like paper with gold and cream tones.  I bit of silver ribboned lace completes the card.


What do you see when you first glance at the card?  I hope it is the shape of the chasuble. 

 This is a reminder to pray every day for all of our priests that guide us daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment