Thursday, May 26, 2016

OVEN BAKED CHEESE RAVIOLI WITH SWEET ITALIAN SAUSAGE

I wrote this posting in the height of softball season, but this casserole is good for any time that your schedule seems busier than usual.

I have been looking for easy prepared casseroles to make ahead since softball season has begun.
I found this one on the Internet and made it already.  There was something lacking, so I decided to change it up to achieve more flavor.  Here goes my updated recipe:

Here are the main ingredients. I forgot to put the shredded mozzarella in the group(I use about 2 cups of it).  We have  1-2lb.  bag of frozen cheese ravioli.  I guess you could use meat ravioli, but if I want to make a meatless meal for Lent, I would just eliminate the sweet Italian sausage. Also, have on hand one jar of pasta sauce(I love any brand of the Tomato and Basil), 1 package of sweet Italian sausage, 1-14 1/2 oz.
diced tomatoes(undrained), and 1 carton of shredded Parmesan cheese.

Cut sausage into slices and sautée them in a Dutch oven. Once cooked, add 1 jar of tomato and basil spaghetti sauce.  (Any brand will work.). To this mixture, add 1-14 oz. can of diced tomatoes and juice, and 1/2 c. water. Your sauce is done!

In a casserole dish, spray Pam.  Put about 1 cup of the sauce into the bottom of the dish.  Layer about 1/2 of the frozen cheese(or meat if you like) ravioli.  Layer half of the sauce and another layer of ravioli.  Top with remaining sauce.  Sprinkle 8 oz. of shredded mozzarella cheese on top.  Cover with foil and bake at 400 for 40 minutes. Remove foil and add some shakes of grated Parmesan over the top of the casserole.  Place back in oven and bake 15 more minutes.  

The top should be golden and bubbly.  Ready to serve.

 Since my family members arrive home late after dinner, I can cut a piece of the casserole and warm it up in the microwave.  Serve with crusty Italian bread and a tossed salad.

Serve with a crusty loaf of bread and a fresh garden salad.  On a side note, have you tried Olive Garden's Signature Italian Dressing now sold at the grocery stores?  This dressing goes great with this meal.



Sorry about the lack of photos.  Just follow the easy instructions.  I think you will enjoy this flavorful make ahead dinner.

It doesn't get much easier than this!

No comments:

Post a Comment