Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Headboard bench

While shopping on a day long venture in Dumfries, VA, my friend and I came upon a junk store.  There was a set of twin head and foot boards that were selling for $25.00 a piece.  I loved the design of the headboard.  My dear friend loved the foot board.  We purchased both pieces.  I wanted to make a bench out of mine.

Neither one of us took before pictures of the pieces.  They were dark and stained.  Initially, both of us stripped and painted them.

                         Mr. Thrifty constructed a box and put legs on it.  This is the result.



                                      This is what the bench looks like from the back.


While in Little Rock, I had a friend who staged pictures for Leisure Arts Design magazines.
        Here is a picture of the bench as it appeared in the book of Crochet Afghans.                                   




                  It was fun to watch the staging process using my antiques and up cycled furniture.

                     Here is a rather poor(blurry) copy that I took as they were doing the vignette.
                                 You  can see how much they edited the frame.

                                                                 
We now use the bench for extra seating at the kitchen table.  It also serves as great storage for my large volume of decorator napkins and plates.

                                                                
             There are two divided sections in the entire base.  This is a view of the entire piece.

                                                               
                                                               
                            As you can see, the bench has very practical seating plus storage.

The next picture shows what my friend Tara did with the matching foot board to this piece.  She painted it out and uses it as a firescreen.  Don't you love her style?


                                          

And here is another picture of the same foot board at her Virginia house.  Isn't it just beautiful?



I wanted to enlarge the picture, but it increased the blurriness.  She is a grand piece don't you think?

I think it is awesome that out of one twin bed, we now share it together.  I love the fact that we both took a very similar piece and created different practical objects.  Think...out of the box!

No comments:

Post a Comment