Tuesday, March 26, 2013

AN UPCYCLED STOOL, A VINTAGE EGG CRATE AND A DECOUPAGE BOX

I pulled three items out to create an Easter mantle. Now, you might wonder what connection there is between them. Read on and find out.

 The first item was a foot stool that I purchased at an estate sale last year for $5.00.

                                                      
I thought that the stool had some great potential.  The first step was sanding the top piece.  Didn't that turn out great?

                                                               
Because I wanted to stain the top and paint the bottom, I covered the top and taped it off with a piece of cardboard.


                                                                       
I had in my paint supply a quart of French blue paint that I had used years ago on a chair.  Because I wanted to distress the blue paint after I was finished, I didn't even prime the base of the stool.

                                                                 
                                        After 2 coats of the paint, it looked like this.

                                                               
                        Now it was time to stain the top with leftover golden oak stain.

                                                             
    Distressing the bottom of the stool was the next step before using a clear wax on the entire piece.

                                                                               
The transformation is complete.
 
 
The second item that I wanted to incorporate into this display was a vintage egg crate that my brother found in Mom's attic.  I don't know if it came from my Grandfather's grocery store, but that seems a logical explanation.
 
 
There are four levels to the crate, each layer holding 3 dozen eggs.The crate holds 12 dozen or 144 eggs.
All of the original cardboard dividers are present in this box.
 
 
What a piece of history!
 
The third item that I was going to use is a darling decoupaged Easter box given to me by my sister Karen on a recent visit.
 
 
 
The box has beautiful turquoise paint on two sides.
 
 
Now that you see the three items that I will use for the Easter mantle, I am going to get busy to complete the vignette. 
 
Stay tuned for the reveal on the next posting!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment