Tuesday, June 11, 2013

REFURBISHING A TIME WORN QUILT

I was thrilled with my find of 3 vintage, worn quilts  found at a neighborhood garage sale.  As you may recall, I bought the first two quilts for $20.00 a piece and the third quilt was thrown in free.  This was the one that was in desperate need of repair.  There was no binding on two sides and the other two sides were worn. It is shown thrown over the back of the couch.



It didn't look too terribly bad thrown over the back of the couch because I folded it in a way that showed the least imperfections.  The white binding that is blurry was very frayed.

Here is another view of the quilt. Thinking about all of the nimble fingers that worked to make such a masterpiece was absolutely the reason to rescue this vintage quilt.



My first thought was to buy a cute vintage like calico print that would compliment the existing fabrics in the quilt.  After searching for 30 minutes, nothing worked.  I proceeded to the seam binding section and found an almost match to the existing squares on the quilt.  The 30% sale price gave me a price of $l.29 per package.  I purchased the only three packages of the double binding that they had in the canary yellow and prayed for the best.  It had to cover the perimeter of the quilt.






For a total of $4.51 new life has been brought back in the time worn quilt.

Once home, I opened the package of binding, ironed them well and then sewed them all together in hopes of keeping a continuous band to finish the quilt.

Prior to attaching the binding, I had to trim off one entire side of the quilt. 


 The original top, batting and bottom pieces were shredding. 


 
More trimming
 

 
 
Because of the previous damage, one whole side was trimmed drastically.
 


 
 
 
To be honest, it isn't the prettiest sewing job I have done, but it was the simplest way to attach the binding.
 
 
In the end, the refurbishing of the quilt was well worth the expense of the project.  More importantly, more years have been added to this time worn treasure.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment