Sunday, June 23, 2013

TROPHY LAMP BASE TO PARIS GREY


I am in Illinois readying our home for the real estate market.  I am up to my eyeballs with fix it projects, and cleaning as the house was left in very poor shape.(thanks to a pathetic tenant)

I am going to load up the next few posts, so you won't think that I abandoned you.  Enjoy and I will be back in a few weeks.




Finding this trophy-like lamp base at an estate sale was a great find.  For only $25.00, the base was a great piece to try Annie Sloan chalk paint.  I have read that this particular paint could be used on metal.  This was going to be a challenging experiment.  The newer shade was bought at Target.




And a closer look of the base.



Wanting to continue the grey look in the great room to compliment the off white slipcovers was the beginning of this experiment.  I started with one coat of Annie Sloan Paris Grey chalk paint.
 
 
The  coverage was pretty good, but one more coat was necessary.  Then, one coat of white Annie Sloan paint was used to coat some of the bands of the base.
 
You will also notice that I began to distress the piece with a piece of 220 grit sandpaper.  After a visit to the store who supplies the Annie Sloan paint, I was told to paint the item two coats, then apply a clear coat of wax.  Then distressing the piece will give you more control of sanding.
 
 
Another coat of paint was applied.
 
 
Now, a coat of clear wax is applied.  It gives the piece a bit of sheen.
This great waxing brush is used with the clear wax.

 
 
 
Then I applied a dab here and there of the silver gilding wax.  

 
 
 
 Now the shade.......


Something was missing.  I grabbed some off white tulle ribbon and a vintage brooch.


Tying the ribbon around the shade gave it that extra oomph.


A future project will be painting the pair of urns to match this lamp and filled with spring bouquets.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment