Wednesday, January 8, 2014

CONQUERING QUILT STAINS

Be prepared.  This is not a pretty post.  It deals with the realities of life.
 
Tough stains are hard to tackle.
 
While cleaning Mom's house out, my sister offered me one of the quilts. I believe that my Grandma gave it to Mom when she was married.

The problem with this appliqued quilt was that it was marked with 3 urine stains that were very old.  Some of the young grandchildren must have taken a nap on this fine quilt and had an accident to boot.

 
Another view.
 
 
The first step was to do some research on stain removing products.  

Most sites suggest  using a product called Nature's Miracle.


  Generally, this product is used for pet stains.  I purchased this bottle at Pets Mart for $10.79 which included tax.
  In this case, I thought urine was urine.  It was worth a try.

The following description comes directly from the Nature's Miracle website.

This advanced oxygen infused, bio-enzymatic formula deeply penetrates to eliminate organic stains and odors including urine, feces, vomit, food, blood, dirt and grass. Removes pheromones and destroys odors on contact to break the re-soiling cycle. Advanced formulation dries faster than the original to minimize tracking. Safe for use around children and pets.

Nature's Miracle Urine Destroyer is specially formulated for cats to eliminate tough urine and spraying odors. It contains an enzyme-producing bacteria that breaks down urea and uric acid crystal to get rid of yellow stains and residue. Apply directly to any surface to trap and permanently remove stains and odors.

I didn't realize that normal stain fighters would not deactivate these uric acid crystals.  I learned something new everyday.

The first step was to test the fabric to make sure that it would not harm the fibers in the quilt. I skipped this step because I was so desperate. Instead, I jumped right in with soaking the stains with the solution.  After letting it set for 5 minutes, I took an old toothbrush out and began rubbing the stains in a circular motion.  I then squirted the entire area with liquid Oxyclean(my own idea thinking that a booster might help) and let it sit for 30 more minutes.  Finally, I put the quilt into the washing machine and set the machine to heavy soil, but left it on a warm temperature cycle.  I didn't want to use hot water, because that normally sets stains. Once the cycle was finished, I laid out the quilt to air dry .

  As you can see the top left hand corner stills has some discoloration.

   But, did you notice how much whiter the quilt looks?
 
 So back to work. I repeated the entire sequence again.
 
 
 
 
 
Well, what do you think? 
 
Focus on the area that the nail file is pointing to.  There is a slight stain, but you have to look for it. I must admit, this product did remove about 98% of the stain.  With a very close eye, you can see a faint trace of the stain.  The camera does not pick it up.
 
 
 While laying the quilt on my round kitchen table, I could envision  a spring luncheon using this quilt as a tablecloth.  Now that's an idea!  I never thought that I could ever use this quilt again, but I am so happy with the results.  I mean, I am really happy!
 
But for now, the quilt will remain on the quilt stand that my Dad made.
 
Aren't these color patterns delicious?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Lots of color was introduced into this plain corner complimenting the rose botanical prints.
 
Next time, you have stained bedding, try Nature's Miracle. 
( I have not been paid for my opinion on this product.)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment