Thursday, January 16, 2014

MY FIRST SHABBY QUILT

 
One of the crafts that I wanted to attempt was making a quilt.  I'm sure my Grandmother worked on at least 100 during her 80 odd years at the church quilting get togethers.

I wanted this quilt really to reflect what I love the most.  Since I love all things shabby, I found some coordinating patterns.  But I'm jumping ahead of myself.

I was so hesitant to start, so I did a bit of research.
In order to make a quilt on the machine, one very important sewing attachment is a neccesity.


 It is called a Walking foot.



I know you might be saying, "Wow, that is costly!"  However, when you see how this attachment helps move the triple layer of fabrics(bottom layer, batting and top layer) you will understand that it is worth every penny.  I have made two quilts now and hopefully start my third-a patriotic quilt this summer.


Somehow this walking foot holds all three layers in place while you sew your seams so they don't bunch up.  It is a good purchase.  It also attaches easily to my machine.


Three other items needed for easy cutting of the fabric.  They are a rotary cutter, a rotary cutting ruler and a rotary cutting mat. It did take a very long time to cut all my squares out, however, if I had to use a scissors, it would have taken much longer.
 







With these three tools and reading directions, it was a breeze to cut the fabrics.  This next step is so important.  I did wash all my fabrics prior to cutting to cut down on shrinking once the quilt was washed.


 
Once all the fabrics were cut out, it was a game trying to put a puzzle together.  As with many of my craft projects, it works with whatever is pleasing to your eye.



 
One non-traditional fabric that I used was this puffy fuchsia pink blanket material.  I love the bumpiness of the dots.  It was a bit more challenging to sew with because it is a bit stretchy, but I love the overall look in the end.



Aren't these beautiful colors and patterns? 


My leftover strips were incorporated into this throw pillow for the bed.(still unfinished in this picture)

 
 Once I had the top of the quilt all sewn together, I took a trip to JoAnn Fabrics to get advice on what type of batting to purchase.  Little did I know that there was more than one kind.  When I put the quilt top up on the table, a few 'quilt pros' came up to the table and were in awe of the colors.  I didn't want them to look too closely in case they saw errors.  One lady even asked what company I bought the quilt fabrics from. I bought the fabrics from Shabby Fabrics, but they do not carry the collection anymore.  Free Spirit Quilting Fabric Company still carries the Barefoot Roses collection.
 
This is the description that comes straight from that website.
 
Barefoot Roses

Barefoot Roses by designer Tanya Whelan of Grand Revival is a sophisticated, pretty, fresh and modern approach to old fashioned style. Tanya's flea market chic aesthetic comes through in Barefoot Roses, which has a relaxed, "collected over time" feeling. Classic roses in large, medium and small scales form the base of the collection rounded out by typically vintage motifs of ticking stripes and dots all rendered in fresh, clear colors. Versatile colors that include soft vintage greenish blues, fresh grass greens, and summer sky blues allow for combinations that range from pale and subtle to vibrant and happy.
 
 So back to the batting.  The best kind of batting to use is cotton batting.  It does give the quilt a warmer feel when completed.  It is more expensive, but when you are going to such trouble to make a good product, you might as well listen to the experts.
 
 
Because the fabric does not come large enough to make the other side of the quilt, I decided to make larger squares of the same fabric and sew them together.  Before this step,  I took the middle square to Embroid Me and had them embroider our initials on them.  For less than $15.00, it really adds some luxury to the finished product. 
 
 
 A close up of the initials.
 

I bought extra of the blue and white polka dot material to create a binding for the perimeter of the quilt.
 

Though we don't use this quilt often, it is the go-to one if we are really cold at night.


Throwing a few patriotic pastel silk pillows compliment the pinks and the blues in the quilt.



I even had enough fabric left over to make a lap quilt for my sister-in-law when she was going through a major illness.




 
Here is a close up of 11 different fabrics used in this project.



This corner of quilts gives great color and joy to all who enter.
 
The middle quilt was made by my dear friend Tara.









No comments:

Post a Comment