Sunday, January 12, 2014

NEW YEAR'S DAY TRADITIONAL PORK AND SAUERKRAUT


I want to catch you up on an amazing recipe that I make every New Year.
 
I  begin this post from my kitchen testing on New Year's Eve.  I know must people are  interested in going out and celebrating, but not in our house.  As a matter of fact, my husband's family always celebrates the incoming New Year with a meal consisting of pork and sauerkraut, which eaten, was to bring good luck for the coming year.  Superstitions aside, I researched online to find a good hearty meal to start out the New Year.  This recipe is a compilation of various recipes
 
I made this dish the morning  of December 31st,  so come  January 1st, all I had to do was preheat the oven, place the dish in and let it cook.
 
OK, back to my New Year's Pork and Sauerkraut recipe that can be made any day of the year.  This is comfort food at its best. 
 
So let's get to work.
 
INGREDIENTS
 
 4 lbs. sauerkraut, rinsed well and drained 
      
 8 country ribs or 8 pork chops(I used pork chops this time.) I have used the country ribs and 
        prefer the ribs over the chops, however, I couldn't find ribs at the store this morning.
.       
7 pieces of good bacon, diced

2 lg. red delicious apples, sliced

1 lg. sweet onion, diced

1 teaspoon of each placed in a dish and mixed:  garlic powder, paprika and black pepper

   I need to digress for a moment.  When at home this Thanksgiving, we went through Mom's house and divided things.  One of the things I loved the most was this piece of vintage crockery.


This crock has been used from my grandmother to Mom and now to me.  Notice all the well worn cracks in the bowl.  Ironically, the bowl does not leak.



I used canned sauerkraut this time.  As long as it is rinsed well, I don't think it matters.
 
 
The sauerkraut is rinsed and drained in a colander in this very bowl.
It is very important that you rinse the sauerkraut well in a colander and drain.  This takes a lot of the salt of the kraut.  Set aside to drain.

 

Cook the diced bacon in a large frying pan.  When cooked, remove the bacon and leave the bacon grease.  Add the onions.  Sprinkle a  pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar on the onions.  This step helps caramelize the onions.  Sauté until soft and add cooked bacon and drained sauerkraut back into the pan.  Stir until combined.  Layer into casserole dish.


Next, layer thinly sliced apples on top of the sauerkraut mixture.



Take your 3 spices:  garlic powder, paprika and black pepper.  Mix them and rub on all sides of the meat.
 
 
Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil into the frying pan.  Brown meat on both sides.
 
 
Layer on top of sauerkraut mixture.
 


Top with foil and seal well.  Bake at 350 for 90 minutes.


Adding homemade mashed potatoes and a vegetable will finish the meal.  I recall while visiting Germany that I could find a meal so fine in a small Gaststatte.  Enjoy your own European experience right at home tonight.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment