Wednesday, December 31, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2015

 Happy New Year.  I hope that this year will bring new memories to you and all of you can accomplish one new goal.
 
I want to share an easy recipe that we have made at home to become healthier.

  Last August, Mr. Thrifty bought me a Nutri- Bullet 900 for my birthday.  At first, I was a bit disappointed.  Why would I want a smoothie maker?  He told me that he wanted to keep me around for awhile.
 
My eldest daughter and I began experimenting to make the best tasting green smoothie.  This is the recipe that we like the best.  Begin with these fresh ingredients.

The spinach, apple and banana are fresh.  I go with canned pear halves just because it is easier.



 
Start by putting 2 small handfuls of fresh spinach into the bottom of the plastic jar.

 
An apple corer makes cutting the apples a breeze. 


Layer apple slices on top of the spinach.

 
  Then, add one peeled cut up banana  and 1/2 of a canned pear.  Add 2 T. of the pear juice to it. 

 
 Then, go to the ice maker and load in ice to reach the top.  Switch over to the water on the fridge and fill it 1/4 of the way full.



I used a Sharpie to draw a line about halfway up on the apple on the left.  See it?  This is the water line that I use.  Not also that my ice and fruit come above the MAX line.  As long as your lid is on tight, it will not leak.

 
Process your smoothie about 20 seconds.


I realize that it isn't the most impressive color but I'm telling you the truth when I say that you can not taste the spinach.


I think drinks always taste better in a fine glass.



.  I honestly have to say, that with the digestive problems I've had since I've turned 50, this smoothie gives me no grief.  I don't know about you but wheat, milk and red meat are becoming harder to digest.  My doctor says that this is normal as one gets older. 
 
We have been making these smoothies almost every day for breakfast.  Within 3 1/2
 months, I have dropped 15 pounds.  (I also run on the treadmill 1-1.5 miles every day before drinking my smoothie.)

 I will be the first to say--impossible--but it's true.  I have become addicted to these smoothies.

Lessons learned:  The first attempt at making this recipe was unsuccessful.  The key was adding ice to the mixture.  It gives it a more slushy consistency.

Always clean the parts immediately after pouring your smoothie.

 
*I am not promoting the Nutri-bullet personally.  It has worked fine for us.  I believe the one major problem has to do with the not cleaning the base of the machine after every smoothie.  Occasionally, I did not have the lid tight enough and I did get a bit of leakage.  If that isn't cleaned up, it will gum up your blades on future attempts. 

   This machine comes with multiple recipes.

 
This year, turn over a new leaf and get your mornings started drinking this healthy smoothie.
 
My next plan is to make the fruit baggies handy in the freezer, so I don't have to gather all the ingredients every morning.  I will get back to you on that and see if it loses any of the taste content.
 
What's your plan to improve on the New Year?  

So from our family to yours, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment