Thursday, January 25, 2018

FREEZING HOMEMADE SOUP


As I had mentioned in my last posting, I have been busy in the kitchen making homemade soups to keep the troops warm and happy.

Today, I pulled out a vat(a little over a gallon of my best beef vegetable soup) and readied it for the freezer.  As a bonus, I will reprint the recipe at the end of this post.

I like to cool the soup in the refrigerator or even outside right now with the temperatures below freezing.

 
I buy these plastic containers at the Kitchen supply house here in town.  The package of 50 lids cost about $3.75 and I then buy 2 packages of the containers because there are 25 in each bag.  The total for 50 sets is just under $10.00.

I use these containers to freeze almost every sauce or soup that I make.  The great thing about them is that you can just pull one from the freezer and give it away without worrying if you get your container back.

 
These containers hold one quart each.  One quart is an ample amount for 2 people to have lunch or   dinner.

As far as marking the containers, I have found that when wet, even permanent marker smears.  So, I write the label directly on the lid.



Then, I place a piece of packing tape directly over the printed label.  There are no more accidents on the label wearing off.

I ended up with 4 containers equaling to 1 gallon of soup.  This recipe is amazing and goes from freezer to stove without losing any flavor.


LORA'S BEST BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP
 
1 stick of butter

 
2-3 smashed garlic buds
 
1 sweet onion-chopped
 
2 lbs. stew meat, cut in smaller pieces(I like a bit of marbling as it gives the soup more flavor)
 
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
 
3 teaspoons Paprika
 
2 bay leaves
 
s&p to taste--at end!!!
 
8 cups beef broth-I make mine with beef base. 
 
 Mix 2 teaspoons of base to 1 cup of hot water. I find mine at WalMart.  Depending on how thick you want your soup, adjust your own amount of broth.
At least 2 and if you like more, 3 lbs frozen mixed veggies.  I cook mine ahead because they are the steamed packets.
*I marinate my beef in a gallon ziplock bag with 4 cups of water and 3-4 T. cornstarch.  I leave it in the bag for at least 30 minutes.  I rinse and drain the beef before putting it in the onion, butter mixture.  This process will tenderize the beef.
 
Start by melting your butter in a pot on low.  Add garlic and onion and sauté for just a minute.  Add meat and cook on low for about 1 hour.
 
Next add tomatoes and cook another hour on low.  If you see your beef getting tender sooner, you are done with this step.
 
Add bay leaves, paprika and beef broth.  Cook for 30 minutes. 
 
Add cooked veggies.  Sometimes, I cut up canned potatoes in cubes and add them. 
TURN THE SOUP OFF.  I DON'T LIKE OVERCOOKED VEGGIES AND WHEN YOU REHEAT THE SOUP, THE VEEGIES AND  POTATOES WILL NOT OVERCOOK.
 
SALT AND PEPPER AT END .
 
ALWAYS TASTE BETTER THE SECOND DAY.
Excellent when put in freezer.  Just thaw and reheat.
 

Cook a pot today and freeze some for a later day.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment