Thursday, June 28, 2018

PLASTIC TABLECLOTH FOR DINING ROOM TABLE 2018

I am in the midst of painting and staining the Marian shrine for our home.  Because I can't show you the final results yet, I am sharing a fun trick that I used at Easter.

I have to laugh as I tell you about the latest trick I have for my dining room entertaining. Years ago, I remember my grandparents placing clear plastic over the tablecloth while serving Sunday dinners.  I'm sure that was to prevent stains while feeding the grandchildren.

Now, I would never have thought of using the plastic liner until I decided to have lobster for my Easter dinner.  The thought of dripping butter on my vintage periwinkle damask tablecloth was scary.

Originally, I had purchased this gorgeous tablecloth and monogrammed napkins done in a soft shade of lime green at an estate sale at a prominent home on Moss Avenue.  This area was a well to do neighborhood in West Peoria.  I paid $25.00 for the tablecloth and 8 napkins.  I have used them every spring since I bought them back in the mid 80's.  Yes, that's a long time ago.


On a trip to Hobby Lobby, I ventured back to the fabric department and found this great transparent liner.  I bought 2 yards and brought it home.






As you can see, it was pretty cheap and considering its purpose was money well spent.


I removed the table settings and placed the plastic on top of the delicate tablecloth.   Can you see the intricate embroidery on the right edge of the tablecloth?  The napkins carry the same monogram.


After putting back the centerpiece and table settings, you hardly notice the plastic.




I believe I enjoyed this Easter dinner because I didn't have to worry about spills and stains.  Also, I didn't have to launder the tablecloth since it was protected.  Saving cleaner fees was an added plus.  Of course, the napkins were laundered, but I wash them in cold water and gently press them after they come out of the dryer.

I think Grandma would smile at this trick of protecting one of my favorite tablecloths.

No comments:

Post a Comment