Friday, December 21, 2018

HOMEMADE SAUSAGE AND GRAVY WITH BISCUITS

I want to begin by saying a big thank you to my friend, Brenda, for teaching me how to make homemade sausage gravy.  Now, she makes homemade biscuits to go with it.  I use the package because I have yet to manage making the fluffy delights from scratch.

It seems that I make this breakfast more often than not for Mr. Thrifty because it is hearty and it steels him for all the projects I like to put on his list.  For the girls, it isn't heart healthy, but I will tell you, this is good ol' comfort food.

The ingredients used are: mild(or hot if you prefer) bulk pork sausage, a can of jumbo biscuits, hot sauce, flour, milk, salt and white pepper.(I don't like black specks in my gravy.)


Mr. Thrifty always takes charge of baking the biscuits.  Just follow the directions on the can.


I do have him spray the Teflon pan with Pam.  Also, I don't put the raw biscuits too close together.  The Mr. likes crisp outsides.


I fry up the pork sausage and do not, I repeat, DO NOT DRAIN THE PAN.


I slowly add 4 T. of flour to the pan until all the grease is absorbed.  This step makes for gravy with no lumps.  


I slowly incorporate 3 cups of milk, adding a bit at a time. It will be runny at this point.  I then add 3 shakes of hot sauce, 1/2 tsp. of white pepper and 1 tsp. salt.
Simmer on low until you get the desired thickness.



At this point, I wish I had smell-o-vision.  The aroma is incredible!



While it is thickening, I set my holiday table.




The biscuits are hot out of the oven.



I slice them in half and put two biscuits on a plate.


Pour over the gravy and enjoy.  This is what Mom would call a thrashers breakfast.  I promise you it will fill your worker's' stomach and make for a happy worker.



No comments:

Post a Comment