Sunday, September 6, 2015

ANTIQUE BIRDCAGE FROM TONGEREN FLEA MARKET IN BELGIUM

 I have always loved bird cages.  I don't know why, but this image of a Victorian bird cage caught my eye on the  Graphics Fairy site.
There is a backstory here.  My dear friend, Brenda lived outside Brussels years back.  As a single teacher, I traveled on my spring break to visit her and had a personal tour of the area.  This was one of my most favorite trips ever.  Going on an European tour is always better when taken by a resident of the area.  Brenda and her husband Bob took me to a vintage castle, a drive through the Bluebell forest, dinner in a quaint restaurant eating mussels off the Grand Place, a trip to the Saturday flower market and shopping at the local grocery store.

One of my favorite sites to see was our visit to the Tongeren Flea Market.  Here are some images that I pulled off the Internet. Pictures sited from the Rococo Roamer blog site.







There were so many antiques that it almost can cause an overload of stimulation.  It is my most favorite flea market that I have ever visited.

I believe that Brenda bought this birdcage at the Tongeren flea market.

Because they were downsizing in their house, Brenda wanted to find a good home for her birdcage. While visiting her this summer, she gifted me with this fabulous birdcage.

The door  works perfectly.


The carved arches are symmetrical.


The water dispenser is made of metal.


 Isn't it a beauty?

 I knew that this birdcage would become a staple in my future displays around the house.

   In my mind, I knew what I wanted to do, but it seemed impossible.  Initially, I wanted to insert my oriental blue and white pottery inside the birdcage.  The problem was that there wasn't a hole large enough to insert them into.  Help--Mr. Thrifty.  Unfortunately, he was at work so I had to figure this out on my own.

Find out on the next posting what I did with this amazing object.


In order to appropriately express my gratitude for such an amazing gift, a homemade card was in order.


Brenda, I will always cherish this special gift.  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to create more vignettes with this unique birdcage.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment