Tuesday, September 1, 2015

BREAKFAST BURRITOS

I have been feeling guilty lately for not making a substantial breakfast for Mr. Thrifty on the weekends.  Since he leaves for work at 5:30 during the week, the weekends are the time for me to whip up a hardier breakfast.  Well, that was before I would make my great green smoothies for myself every day.
 
So on this Sunday, I decided to give him a surprise.  Before I started, I asked him "Can I do a blog while I am cooking your breakfast?"  Being the patient man that he is, he said it was no problem.
 
To begin with this breakfast recipe, I must say that I can't believe it took me so long to use chorizo Mexican sausage in my cooking.
 
Lets begin.
 
The ingredients you will need are:  flour burrito shells, eggs, pepper jack cheese, taco sauce, sour cream and chorizo sausage.
 

Let's back up to the prepping of the ingredients.  You can find the Mexican chorizo sausage in your grocery stores.  I find mine near the cream cheese.


When I bring it home from the store, I take out the links, and cut off the casings.  I usually brown the ground meat inside a skillet.  You will notice that it is quite greasy.  After cooking it, I put it in a frozen zip lock bag so I can take out what I need for a recipe and keep the remainder to put back in the freezer.
 It thaws rather quickly.


To grate the pepper jack cheese block, I always first spray the grater with an oil spray.  You would be surprised how easy the cheese grates without gumming up the grater itself. 
 

Then set the cheese aside for assembling the burrito.


Before I start cooking the scrambled eggs, I assemble my burrito shells to warm them.  I take a regular microwave plate out and lay a somewhat wet paper towel on the plate itself.


Using this method, I can heat up about 4 shells at a time.  Then, I lay the flour shells on top of the wet paper towel.


The last step in this process is to lay another wet paper towel over the shells.  They take 1 minute to warm up in the microwave.  I set the dish in the microwave and wait until the eggs are almost cooked before I turn it on.  This way, the eggs and shells are hot at the same time.




I whip up 5 eggs with about 1 tablespoon of cold water.  Cook the eggs to your liking.


Take the warmed shells out of the microwave.  Lay one shell on the plate.  Notice how I lay the cooked eggs on the shell a bit to the left.  This is for easier rolling.  


Add a few dabs of sour cream next to the eggs.  Because the Mr. likes taco sauce on the burrito, I cut a fresh avocado and fill it with taco sauce to garnish the burrito at the table.
 

 Sometimes once he adds the remaining condiments and rolls the burrito, he likes me to put it back in the microwave for about 15 seconds to heat it all up.


These breakfast treats are delicious.  The flavors of the chorizo and pepper jack cheese detonate your senses.  I promise you--this will be a favorite in your home too.



No comments:

Post a Comment