Thursday, December 21, 2017

CHRISTMAS DECOR 2017 AND MANTLE



This year my decorating cost absolutely nothing, well almost nothing and I can't wait to share with you how this happened.

For years, I had wanted to use my Oriental blue and white pottery in my Christmas decorating, but I couldn't manage a theme.  This year, my theme was the Nativity.  So... let's begin.


It all started with a trip to Home Depot.  I went into the Garden department and inquired about purchasing some evergreen greenery.  The store employee took me to the Christmas tree trimming department and pointed to a bin of cut limbs.  "Take all you need, she said."  When I asked her how much they were, she told me that they were free.  I do have one disclaimer, but I will fill you in on that in a minute.


I loaded up my trunk and came home.  I don't have to tell you how thrilled I was.


The first place I placed the greenery was around the vintage scale of my grandparents.


Here is the disclaimer.  Right before I went to Home Depot, I stopped at Fresh Market and found a bunch of greenery with some cedar. This I purchased for $4.99.   I placed that bunch in the pitcher on the coffee table.


Then, it was on to the mantle.  I bought this Nativity set at the base thrift shop last year for $5.00.  I was attracted to the simple cream pottery.  This would be the centerpiece of the mantle. I placed other pieces of my Oriental pottery, a West Point plate and some inexpensive cobalt blue pitchers that I had received with fresh flowers years ago.  More greenery and tree branches were placed in my large vase on the floor.













I love how the mantle and coffee table incorporate the whole feeling in the great room.


More greenery was placed on the top of the kitchen eat in buffet.  All my blue and white pottery is accented in the cabinet.


More greenery was put on the top of the Menu frame.


It is time to sit back and enjoy the scenery.  And I haven't even got to the Christmas tree yet. 








I love this room in the morning  as the sun creeps in, casting sunbeams across the mantle.




No comments:

Post a Comment