Sunday, December 10, 2017

UPDATING THE TRUMEAU MIRROR













I have a great story behind this next project. 

 When my Dad and Mom married in 1962, they were given a beautiful Wedgewood cigarette holder. It's funny that neither one of them smoked, but the delicate blue and white container just spoke of Mom's favorite colors.  This would be my inspiration for updating the Trumeau mirror.



Before picture.....I originally bought this piece because of the raised cherub in the top of the mirror.





































I laid a piece of newspaper on the mirror itself and taped around the edges so I wouldn't have to clean paint off the mirror.  This really saves time after painting.








I used all Annie Sloan products on the mirror. I purchased a small bottle of Louis Blue-my favorite Annie Sloan color.  I also bought a bottle of the white wax too.  It is always fun to try a new product and I was hoping to have a white film on top of the blue to tone it down.  Clear wax from Annie Sloan was going to be used for the top coat.  I love the way the clear wax buffs out.





This picture shows the first coat which does not cover completely.  That is ok since I was planning to paint two coats.





Here is a close up of the first coat.



Notice how much brighter and more uniform the coverage is after the second coat.

 



Once the second coat was dry, I applied the white wax.  It subdues the blue color. 









Then I applied the clear wax, let it dry and buffed it out.  I liked the finish but it was missing something.


In order to make the raised areas pop, I used a small paint brush and painted those areas with white chalk paint.  I immediately wiped off the surfaces of the white paint with a rag so the recessed areas would pop...and they did.





Once I was satisfied with the end product, I clear waxed over the previously painted white areas.







I think I accomplished my idea of painting the mirror in lines with the Wedgewood cigarette holder. I think Mom would love it.







Here is the before and after.  I think it is a huge improvement.  And the piece fits in perfectly with the new and improved guest room.











Well, this project is almost done--wait, there is just one more project.
























No comments:

Post a Comment