Wednesday, December 6, 2017

REPAINTING A DRESSER WITH BLEED THROUGH






















Happy St. Nicholas Day!
and now on to today's project...

Here is the culprit to my bleed through frustration.  I painted this at least 15 years ago before chalk paint.
Since this dresser resides in the bedroom I was updating, I thought I would give it another shot.  I was tired of looking at the orange bleed through.  The bleed through is caused from the oils in the wood. 
After research on this problem, it is recommended after sanding a piece of furniture to apply a coat of sealer.  I found a great spray on product.  This time I did not sand down to the bare wood.  I roughed up the piece with the sander, cleaned it off with a damp cloth before applying the sealer.


Even the drawers had bleed through.  What an eyesore!





While sanding, I noticed that one of the drawers was falling apart.  I had to take a step back and glue and clamp the drawer, so I had to wait another day to paint.











Taping came next.



Once everything was taped, I sprayed the entire surfaces with the Zinnser spray shellac.  It dries in about 30 minutes.
I purchased a similar type of chalk paint from Maison Blanche called Maison White.















Here is the top after one coat of the paint.  So far, so good.































I had a bit of bleed through so I sprayed another coat on top of the problem areas.  Then I top coated it.  I replaced the top two drawers with glass knobs just to add a bit of class.




Unfortunately, I still experienced a bit of bleed through but I decided to live with it.  Instead of waxing, I used a new product, Milk Paint Co. dead flat finishing cream.  Oh my goodness!! How easy is the application with this product.  I used a 1 inch foam brush and put a coat on all the painted areas.  No buffing, but a nice protective, non yellowing top coat.







This dresser looks 95% better, so I am just going to live with it.































































































No comments:

Post a Comment