Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Mosaic Cross

In years past, I have done some mosaic crosses for auctions and gifts.  I find the crosses at Hobby Lobby, Michael's or Marshall's.  I then embellish them with broken china pieces. I collect chipped plates for next to nothing everywhere I junk.  Usually, I pay under $1.00 for a plate.  I now have enough plate pieces to complete about 30 projects like this one.  Every one turns out differently, and they are fairly simple to create.   A hand held tile cutter helps.

 
This year, I found a cross  in Tuesday Morning and with tax, it cost $3.67.  It had some major chip damage on it.  It didn't matter, because I was going to paint it before I did the mosaic work.  That spackling compound works wonders and it is so easy to sand down.  This is the before picture.  It is hard to see the chips.



Then, I spackled and painted a top coat. I use a pre- mixed white tile adhesive to adhere the china pieces to the cross.  It needs to dry 24 hours. It is important to use Unsanded grout with these projects.  The grout needs to dry at least 24 hours.  Do not rush the project! I try to purchase a 'bright white' grout that needs to be mixed with water.  Remember, your grout is a perfect consistency when it looks like peanut butter.  Just follow the directions on the box.

This picture below shows before the grout is applied.







And finally, some pictures of the completed cross.



Let's  hope  the cross will bring in a good price at the auction.

1 comment: