Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Eastlake chair gets a new lease on life

While living in Virginia, I attended a live auction.  How fun is that?  This was my first one and I was nervous about how to behave.  You hear stories about how people brush their hair and end up winning an  item.  My advice is to keep your hands in your lap.  Anyway, this fine piece of furniture came up  on the block.  Most of the people there were bidding on items that did not need work so I prevailed and bought it for $25.00.    Something funny happens when I buy items.  I like to let them sit awhile before I figure out how to transform them.  I was a bit intimidated since I had never upholstered before.  What if I ruined it?  


 

 
Once I tore it apart, I realized that it had springs and what looked like straw or horse hair stuffing.  I ended up taking everything out and asking my husband for an option.  He ended up building a base for the seat. I laugh to think that in those ol' days, I was still using a hand stapler powered by only me.     However, now that I have one with an air compressor, the job is so much simpler.    I painted the frame white, stuffed and stapled the fabric around the base and finished by using the glue gun to tack on the trim.  


                                                       Now she isn't perfect by any means,
                                                         but I think she is a stunner today.

No comments:

Post a Comment