Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Starting a New Year with New Projects


Since the Christmas decorations will stay in place until the end of January, it is time for me to start back on the back load of projects.  Mr. Thrifty is wanting his work bench emptied so he can work on his own projects.

I started this project at the end of the summer and I need to finish it.

Here is where I started:

 I picked this piece up at an estate sale for $60.00.   Originally, I wanted to re-do it and put it in the powder room off the Great Room.  However, the area above the sink was not wide enough to fit this piece.  Changing course, the only place in the house it could reside would be the laundry room.  Now, I know you are thinking, the laundry room? 

                               I love the shelf at the top of it.  This is the before picture.

                                                                                 

       I am thinking of painting it black, distressing it,  adding a mirror and  some hooks and hanging it over my laundry sink.

                                                     
                                                                  Here is the closeup of the detail.

I have read on blogs that this is black paint that has the richest, deepest black color.  I ordered this paint on line at Woodcraft.


Upon reading about this paint, I wanted to appropriately prepare the surface for the paint.  The great thing about this paint is that you don't need to sand or prime the surfaces prior to painting.  I did sand just a bit just to be safe.


This is what the piece looks like after one coat.  It is a beautiful, rich, full black.  I will give it at least one more coat.

                                                 
I pulled out three vintage hooks, soaked them in vinegar and salt out on the back porch for two weeks and came up with this result.  Before screwing them onto the mantle frame, a coat of spray matte sealer will keep the rust from brushing off anything touching it.

                                                                       
I love the rust effect.  You can do this with any kind of metal out there. It adds so much more character.

Meanwhile, I had a mirror cut at the glass shop.  It has been laying on the dining room buffet for at least two months.  It did come in handy when I put the Nativity set up. 

                                                                       
                                  I'll keep you posted on the progress of this mantle piece.  Meanwhile, this month's posts will be devoted to the 'military' office.  Carry on.....


No comments:

Post a Comment