Monday, April 1, 2013

CRAIG'S LIST VINTAGE DRUM TABLE


A month ago, Nell Hills out of Atchison, Kansas posted a blog about occasional tables.  The occasional table that she picked for her top pick was this one that cost about $3,000.  Notice the inlay details.  It is a gorgeous piece.



                                                 
This was the exact type of table that I was looking for to put in my bedroom.  However, the price was not in my range.  So, I started the hunt.

One Sat. morning, I pulled up my local Craig's List and began searching for vintage furniture.  I found exactly what I was looking for $40.00.   The down side was that a leg was broken off.  This was not a deterrent.  I knew Mr. Thrifty would fix it.

I went over to look at the drum table.  The owner had an array of furniture, beautiful antiques that she was letting go because of downsizing.  I just didn't have the room otherwise I would have come home with more than just this table.  To make a long story short, I met a lovely lady, toured her gorgeous home and came away with a soon to be treasure.

 I already had the two refurbished chairs finished in the Swedish Gustavian style. I had picked them up at the Hanscom Thrift shop for $12.00 a piece back in 2001.  Those were the days when I painted everything white.  It was one of my first attempts at reupholstering chairs and I think my most favorite result.  The white and light blue are such clean and cool colors.


Here is the before and after of the chairs. 

                                                                        
                                                            

                                  
 So, for $24.00 for both chairs, fabric, batting and foam the end result was and still is most pleasing.

Getting  back to the table that will complete this seating arrangement, here goes........

Here is the table before the fix.              

                                     
  The previous two plugs of the broken leg needed to be drilled out. How lucky for us that we had a piece of a dowel rod left in the scrap pile.  It looks like I had stirred black paint with it.  No matter.  No one will ever see it.

 
                     
                      Tool at the ready and the old plugs are drilled out. (Mr. Thrifty at work.)

                                                                        
                                                 New plugs are placed, glued and clamped.

                                        
 We also noticed that the trim around the middle was loose held in by one nail.  The Mr. removed it, glued and clamped that section to stabilize it.  It is SO important to do this work prior to painting.  It takes more time, but in the long run, it is a step not to be skipped.

                                                            
Did you notice the toothpick sticking out of the clamp?  I believe Mr. Thrifty did much better in Geometry because clamping on the curve needed the extra toothpick to lock the clamp more securely.

                     Here the table is structurally fixed.  Ready for the redo now.  Notice the top of the table.  I decided to lightly sand the entire piece to accept the new chalk paint. 

A side note here.  Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is said to be used over any surfaces without sanding or stripping.  I have only had luck on raw wood with the chalk paint.  I thought that if I sanded this table, I wouldn't have the bleed through affect.  I was wrong.

Are you starting to see the potential?

                                                             
After sanding.................................

                                             
Here is one coat of chalk paint.

                                                        
The chalk paint does recommend giving the piece a coat of clear shellac when a piece has a finish on it.  So a bit of backtracking and a coat of shellac was applied. Once dried, it was top coated with the white chalk paint.  The bleed through was fixed.

                                                                            
I had some Louis Blue Annie Sloan Chalk Paint leftover from a previous project.  I mixed in a small  bowl 3 parts white and 1 part blue to use as an accent around the band of the table.  It is a subtle look.  The last step is wiping a coat of clear wax over the entire table.  A good buffing finishes the piece.

                                    Now it was time for a trip to Hobby Lobby to buy some bling. 

                                       
                                    At 50% off  the new knob cost $2.00 and some tax.

                                                               
As you can see by the above picture, I added a bit of contrast by painting the inside of the drawer the Louis Blue Chalk paint.  A little bit of an unexpected surprise is a great touch for the piece.

                                              
The finished table..................


                                                           
                              The chairs and the table make a stunning setting.

                                                               

                                                                     
              Stay tuned using this staging for a Downton Abbey tea.  I'd love to have you join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment