You see many exposed lampshade skeletons around in decorating. I soaked the shade with water until all the paper came off. Then, I ran into a problem. The two parts of the skeleton only stayed together with the paper sheath. Now, I had two separate rings. I had to come up with an idea to conjoin them together again. I had some twine upstairs. I cut three equal pieces of the twine and knotted both parts together securing them with knots. Now the skeleton hung over the light bulb. I tried to think of an out of the box type shade.
The lamp was very primitive, but not quite finished. I needed an idea.......................
While on this same trip home, the girls and I visited a thrift shop in Mom's neighborhood. My youngest brought up a beautiful hanky to show me.(She knows what catches my eye!) I unfolded the hanky and to my surprise I found a name imprinted on one corner of the piece. This hanky truly had a life before ending up at the thrift shop.
Immediately, it became very special to me and I wanted to find a place to carry on its use. I purchased the hanky for $1.00.
It seems a Miss or Mrs. Hemmer did not want to lose this hanky. I don't blame her. It is a beautiful handkerchief.
To cut off the name to reuse the hanky seemed sinful, so I had to come up with an idea to incorporate it into a future project.
The delicate lace edging could not be destroyed.
Not much time passed before I realized that I could marry these two latest finds. Some people will cringe to see what happened next. I took a fabric scissors out and cut a hole in the middle of the hanky.
Grabbing a needle and white thread, I secured the hanky over the lamp skeleton.
The hanky hangs randomly over the frame. I love it!
And Miss or Mrs. Hemmer's hanky lives on in a new light.