Sunday, December 2, 2012

Christmas Gift Bags with Holiday Nuts

Wanting to have a cute way to package the mini ornaments, I recall my younger days when there was no such thing as foil wrapping paper,  I purchased small white paper bags. 

Let me show you how quickly you can whip up a cute bag for Christmas treats.  These bags can be used for bags of cinnamon sugared Christmas nuts.  Recipe will follow.

                                                  I picked these up at Michael's.


                                                        I also found this stamp online. 

                                         
I crease the bag first to see where my ribbon will tie.  Using a paper punch, I punch two holes into the top of the bag.



 Then, I lay it flat, stamp the pine cones.  Once it is dry, I go back with some Elmer's and a toothpick and drag the glue over certain branches, sprinkling silver glass glitter  gives the cones a snow- like quality.  Let this dry.


Once the bag is filled with goodies(zip lock with glazed nuts), take your ribbon, close the top flap, run your ribbon through the holes, tie it up and your treat is complete.

To make an easy tag, I pulled out a toile stamp and printed the top third with a black stamp pad.  Adding another pine cone stamp to the bottom of the tag compliments the embellished paper bag.


                            This recipe was found on The Catholic Post-Dec. 20, 2009 edition.

                                                        Glazed Christmas Nuts



1 egg white

1 T. water

3 c. pecan halves etc.

1 c. granulated sugar

1 t. salt(I use a smidgen more)

2 heaping t. cinnamon

1/2 stick BUTTER

 

Combine egg white with water and whisk until foamy.  Add the nuts and stir until coated.  Set aside.
In another bowl, combine sugar, salt, and cinnamon.  Pour the mixture over the moist nuts and stir to cover them.
Line a jelly roll pan with foil.  Place the butter in the pan and put it in the oven.  When butter has melted, remove the pan and pour the nuts into the melted butter.  Stir gently.  Spread the nuts evenly and return the pan to the oven.  Bake for about 25 minutes at 300 degrees turning the nuts occasionally with a spatula.  Watch so they don’t burn.  Sometimes it takes mine a bit more time.  When it starts really drying up, I know they are done.

 
Remove the pan from the oven and turn out the nuts onto a cookie sheet.  Allow them to dry.  Store the cooled nuts in a plastic bag or airtight container. 

*Place zip lock snack bag full of glazed nuts into the cute Christmas bag.












No comments:

Post a Comment